Triathlon Membership & Growth
Triathlon is a fast-growing sport, and both Triathlon England and Triathlon Wales welcome a huge amount of new members every year. There are over 500 registered clubs in Britain.
Being in a triathlon club entitles members to Home Nation membership at a reduced cost. Athletes with Home Nation membership can enter races at a reduced rate. Those without Home Nation membership must buy a day licence (£3) to race.
Enthusiasm for triathlon shows no signs of waning. Here are some figures illustrating the growth of Triathlon England and Triathlon Wales membership in recent years.
- Season 2004/2005: 6,400 members (BTA)
- Season 2005/2006: 6,748 members (BTA) ( a 5.4% increase)
- Season 2006/2007: 9,450 members (TE +WT) (a 40% increase). This was the year that the online membership application system was opened
- Season 2007/2008: 9,931 members (TE +WT) (a 5.1% increase)
- Season 2008/2009: 10,429 members (TE +WT) (a 5.0% increase)
- Season 2009/2010: 12,359 members (TE +WT) (a 18.5% increase)
- Season 2010/2011: 14,298 members (TE +WT) (a 15.7% increase)
- Season 2011/2012: Triathlon England 15,274
Participation Figures 2009 - 2012
Total number of members (June 2012): Triathlon England 15,274 (does not include Scotland and Wales)
Total number of triathlon clubs: 504 affiliated clubs in England and Wales