David Hill Print this profile
|DOB||23 Mar 1989 (age 27)|
David was new to the British Paratriathlon squad in 2013 and made huge improvements during the season. He comes from a swimming background, having competed for the British team at the Paralympic Games. He competes in the Tri4 category, having been born without a left hand.
He was born in Exeter, grew up in Exmouth, Devon and attended school at Kelly College in Tavistock. He then moved to the University of Bath to focus on swimming, until retirement in summer of 2012. He is a qualified joiner, a skill that helps him make small technical adjustments to his bike now. He is also involved in athlete mentoring.
At the age of just 15, he qualified for the Athens Paralympic Games in his main event, the 100m back stroke. During a 12 year career, he has won medals at IPC World and European Championship events.
How did you get into triathlon? My previous swimming Coach and former Olympian, Robin Brew, is still is a great role model and sowed the seed in my head a long time ago that the sport of triathlon could make a great transition from swimming. I took the opportunity to attend a talent Identification weekend in Feb 2013, run by British Paratriathlon, and loved it and wanted to be involved more!
Other interests? Outside of sport my passion is in construction, and I have recently completed a Level 2 Joinery course at the City of Bath College. Any spare time I get, I love to design and make bespoke furniture. Although being born without my left hand, when I'm in the workshop its one of the only times I am ambidextrous. I've always had a motto of there is no such word as can't, and I believe if there is something you can't do it simply means you haven’t found a way of doing it yet and you can adapt!
Aspirations for the future? Using my skills as a joiner, an aspiration for the future would have to be to build my own house!
David Hill Latest ITU events...
- 26th May 20162016 Lisbon ETU Triathlon European Championships6th
- 20th Mar 20162016 Buffalo City ITU World Paratriathlon Event2nd
- 15th Sep 20152015 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final Chicago7th
- 5th Sep 20152015 Edmonton ITU World Paratriathlon Event4th
- 21st Sep 20142014 Madrid ITU World Paratriathlon Event6th
- 29th Aug 20142014 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final Edmonton10th
- 10th Aug 20142014 GBR Paratriathlon National Championships1st
- 20th Jun 20142014 Kitzbühel ETU Triathlon European Championships4th
- 31st May 20142014 London ITU World Paratriathlon Event5th
- 17th May 20142014 Yokohama ITU World Paratriathlon Event3rd
- 11th Sep 20132013 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final London4th
- 13th Jul 20132013 GBR Paratriathlon National Championships3rd
- 14th Jun 20132013 Alanya ETU Triathlon European Championships7th
David Hill Latest News...
2015Hill to compete at Edmonton ITU World Paratriathlon Event
2011GE Great Britain Age Group Team wins nine gold medals in Beijing
2011GE Great Britain Age Group team wins nine golds
2011GE Great Britain Age Group team wins seven sprint golds
2011Duathletes prepare for Swiss challenge
2011British Triathlon Club Relay Championships
2011Golden weekend for GE Great Britain Age Group Team
2011Brownlee reclaims European title in dramatic style
2011Thorrington and McNamee lead British team in Portugal
2010Edinburgh Set for 2010 GE Edinburgh ITU Duathlon World Championships