Charlotte Ellis Print this profile
|DOB||23 May 1984 (age 29)|
Charlotte has been doing triathlon since 2008. She is a member of three different clubs, Cleveland Triathlon Club, New Marske Harriers (running club) and Cleveland Wheelers (cycling club). She is visually impaired and races with a guide athlete.
Coach: Tony Main
Education: York University: BA (Hons) Languages & Linguistic Science
Tell us a bit about your disability:
I am partially sighted due to three different conditions. I have restricted peripheral vision, no usable night vision and struggle with judging speeds, distances and depths. My vision is also affected by glare and changes in lighting. I also have poor hand eye co-ordination.
What is your best achievement to date?
Winning the world championships in Beijing and probably the Euros in Pontevedra, as I was racing some great paratriathletes and the heat in Pontevedra was unbelievable.
What's your sports background?
I have tried various sports including gymnastics and circus performing over the years but not with any particular success. I competed for my university trampolining club for fun and have competed in a wide range of track and field events for New Marske Harriers, usually because we have a small ladies track and field team.
Do you come from a sporting family?
I always wanted to run the Great North Run like my dad and did the Great North Mile with my dad some years ago.
Are you a full time triathlete or do you work, what’s your job?
I work full time as an Employment Co-ordinator for Action for Blind People. I support people from across the north east of England with becoming job ready, gaining and retaining work.
How did you get into triathlon?
I started running not long after going to university. In 2007 I heard about Project VIper, a project set up by Mark Stride and Sheila Poole to get visually impaired people to complete the 2008 London Triathlon for charity. I signed up to see if I could do it.
Do you have a role model in sport, if so who and why?
I have several role models; anyone who achieves in sport has shown dedication and determination to succeed and tackled their own barriers. The obvious ones are Natalie du Toit (Olympic and Paralympic swimmer) and Mo Farah. Less obvious are people such as Irish gymnast Kieran Behan, who has overcome incredible barriers to qualify for London 2012. I admire anyone who gives 100% to achieve their goal and who is proud to compete for their country, team or club.
What is your ultimate goal in triathlon and beyond?
In the short term I want to continue to achieve international success but ultimately I want to compete at the first ever Paralympic Paratriathlon in Rio in 2016. I also hope to encourage children especially those with disabilities or low self esteem to pursue sports as I strongly believe in the benefits of sport and exercise.
- 1st ETU European Championships, TRI-6, Eilat, 2012
- 1st ITU World Triathlon Championships, TRI-6, Beijing, China, 2011
- 1st ETU European Championships, TRI-6, Pontevedra, Spain, 2011
- 1st ITU World Triathlon Championships, TRI-6, Budapest, 2010
- 1st ETU Triathlon European Championships, TRI-6, Athlone, 2010
Charlotte Ellis Latest ITU events...
- 20th Oct 20122012 Barfoot&Thompson World Triathlon Grand Final Auckland4th
- 17th Oct 20122012 Auckland ITU Aquathlon World Championships2nd
- 20th Apr 20122012 Eilat ETU Triathlon European Championships1st
- 9th Sep 20112011 Dextro Energy Triathlon - ITU World Championship Grand Final Beijing1st
- 24th Jun 20112011 Pontevedra ETU Triathlon European Championships1st
- 8th Sep 20102010 Dextro Energy Triathlon - ITU Triathlon World Championship Grand Final Budapest1st
- 3rd Sep 20102010 Edinburgh ITU Duathlon World Championships2nd
- 3rd Jul 20102010 Athlone ETU Triathlon European Championships1st
Charlotte Ellis Latest News...
2011Britain’s paratriathletes win four world titles
2011New era for Britain’s Paratriathletes on eve of world championships
2011Paratriathlon prepares for Rio 2016
2011Triathletes target gold in Beijing this weekend
2011Elite paratriathletes prepare to race in Hyde Park
2011Paratriathletes strike Spanish gold
2011GE Great Britain Paratriathlon Team ready for Pontevedra
2011Largest ever field at 2011 Tata Steel British Paratriathlon Championships
2011British Triathlon confirm 2011 World Class Paratriathlon Programme
2010ITU’s Bid for paratriathlon’s inclusion in Rio 2016 is Successful